Selected from Sts. Peter and Paul's, South Melbourne; 1854-1979; a historical survey. South Melbourne, St Peter and Paul's, 1979
1854 - Rev. Fr John Aloysius O'Connell, Capuchin Friar, arrived. He served as parish priest until his death in 1858. A large tent was set up to be used as a church, and soon after, as a school for the local children.
1855 - The Loreto nuns took over Sts Peter and Paul's School.
1856 - The second stage of the current church was completed.
1856 - The first brick church was opened. It was used for worship, schooling and, later, as clubrooms. There was also an Irish dancing school.
1857 - The population was 6,419.
1857 - St Joseph's School, Sandridge opened.
1860 - Rev. William Shinnock was appointed pastor. He founded the choir, a night school and the school committee. He was reassigned to Gippsland.
1864 - Rev John O'Driscol was appointed parish priest "at a time when racial prejudices there required an energetic and prudent priest".
1869 - The foundation stone of the current church was laid.
1871 - The population was 17,108.
1874 - The Christian Brothers took over the orphanage. The Mercy sisters set up with the orphan girls across Church Street.
1876 - Foundation stone of the present presbytery was laid.
1879 - St Joseph's Church, Port Melbourne opened.
1883 - The City of South Melbourne was proclaimed.
1887 - A St Vincent de Paul Conference opened in the parish.
1888 - Loreto nuns came to the parish to open an exclusive girls' school.
1890 - The foundation stone for the girl's school was said.
1891 - The new pastor, Rev John Heffernan died of tuberculosis after only three months. He was succeeded as parish priest by Ballarat-born Rev. John J. Graber, Rev Richard Collins was appointed parish priest.
1900 - Christian Brothers house and high school were completed.
1906 - The Rosary Place Convent and School were completed. The Albert Road convent was extended to accommodate a training college for women teachers.
1907 - The parish bought Albert Hall, later called Emerald Hall from Lauder's Riding School.
1912 - The next stage of the church was built to enlarge its capacity to 1230 people.
1916 - The population was 48,000.
1921 - Our Lady.of the Assumption school built in Clarendon Street.
1925 - The Christian Brothers' opened St Vincent's Boys' hostel and St Joseph's Technical School in Park Street.
1928 - Our Lady's Church opened in Park Street.
1933 - The marble altar was installed to commemorate Monsignor Collins' Jubilee.
1936 - The population was 43,000.
1937 - Our Lady's School of Domestic Arts opened behind Our lady's School in Clarendon Street.
1942 - Monsignor Collins died and was succeeded by Rev. Thomas Power. Y.C.W. opened in the parish.
1961 - Loreto Commercial College established in Bank Street.
1966 - The Girls' Orphanage closed and the girls moved into cottage homes.
1968 - St Vincent's Boys Hostel closed.
1969 - Upon the death of Monsignor Power who had been 60 years a priest, Rev. Maurice Bernard Heriot was appointed parish priest.
1855 - Loreto House, Novitiate and Provincial House opened in the former St. Vincent's Boys Hostel.
1855 - Mission to Prince Henrys Hospital began.
1973 - Rev Robert John Maguire appointed parish priest.
1995 - Galilee Regional Catholic Primary School opened.
1996 - Mary's Wayside Chapel opened in Park Street.
1999 - Renovations to church blessed by Archbishop Pell
1999 - Emerald Hill Mission established to serve local needy.